Stanton’s Cave, so named after Brewster Stanton who used the cave to cache tools during an 1889 retreat from the canyon, is home to a summer maternity colony of Townsend’s big-eared bats (Corynorhinus townsendii). Past exploration of the cave’s contents and a door installed to keep out looters put the bat’s survival at risk. 2,000 pounds of steel were welded on site in 1997 to create a gate that keeps out the looters, but allows easy access for bats.
Bus Hatch’s (Steve’s grandfather!) early Grand Canyon explorations led him to Stanton’s Cave where he identified several split twig figurines in 1934. Some of the figurines were later recovered by the Park Service and date to be over 4,000 years old.
In addition to the figurines, there are remains of ancient horses, Harrington mountain goats, humpback Chub fish, California Condors and extinct vultures, among other items.
Grand Canyon’s Stanton’s Cave: bats, Bus Hatch, and figurines was last modified: July 22nd, 2015 by